All about FRITZ!Box
AVM Knowledge Base
Restoring FRITZ!OS of the FRITZ!Box
The recovery tool can be used to restore your FRITZ!Box to working order.
The recovery tool is not necessary for normal operation and should only be used when explicitly recommended by AVM Support!
When you apply the recovery tool, all of the settings you configured in the FRITZ!Box are deleted.
Simply proceed as described below.
1 Downloading the recovery tool
The recovery tool can only be run in Windows 8, 7, Vista and XP.
- Start a web browser (for example Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari) and enter the address ftp://ftp.avm.de/fritz.box/.
- Switch to the folder "fritzbox.fon_wlan_7360_v2" or "fritzbox.fon_wlan_7360_v1", then to the sub-folder "x_misc", and then to the folder named "english".
Important:In order to check which version of FRITZ!Box 7360 you are using, check the designation of the FRITZ!OS that is currently installed. This can be found in the FRITZ!Box user interface on the "FRITZ!OS file" tab in the "Update" menu under "System". The first block of numerals of the FRITZ!OS version number tells you which version of the FRITZ!Box you are using.
If the version number is 111.xx.xx, it is version 1. If the version number is 124.xx.xx, it is version 2.
- Download the recovery tool for your FRITZ!Box to your computer. It has the file extension ".exe".
2 Connect the FRITZ!Box with the computer
- Use the red or yellow network cable included with delivery to connect the computer directly to the "LAN" port on the FRITZ!Box.
- Clear all other connections between your FRITZ!Box and network and USB devices.
3 Disabling firewalls
- Disconnect the FRITZ!Box from the DSL line and do not reconnect until after the firewall is started.
- Configure all firewalls on your computer (for example Zone Alarm, Norton Internet Security) so that they are not automatically re-enabled when your computer restarts.
- Close any active firewall applications.
- Under Windows 8 / 7 / Vista / XP, disable the Windows firewall:
- Click "Start" and then "Settings" (if available) or press the keyboard shortcut "Windows key" + "X".
- Control Panel > (System and Security >) Windows Firewall
- Disable the firewall.
Only disable the firewall when applying the recovery tool and re-enable it before establishing an Internet connection. This software protects your computer from attacks from the Internet and prevents other threats (for example computer viruses) from being executed.
4 Applying the recovery tool
- Run the file "fritz.box_...recover-image.exe" and click "Next".
- Only under Windows XP: When Windows asks whether Media Sensing should be disabled, click "Yes" and "OK" to restart your computer. Windows will now reboot and automatically launch the recovery tool again.
- Follow the instructions displayed on the screen.
Note: It is not an error if the recovery tool does not search for the FRITZ!Box under its IP address 192.168.178.1, but under a different IP address instead. This does not affect the recovery procedure.
- In the "Protocol" window, click the "Next" button as soon as it is available.
- When the recovery tool displays the message - "Complete - FRITZ!Box successfully restored!", reconfigure the FRITZ!Box using the user interface. The recovery tool reset all of the settings (such as Internet account information and telephone numbers you configured).
If the program ends with an error message such as "Recovery failed due to an error", run it again. In some cases the program may have to be restarted as many as 6 times.
If recovery continues to fail, connect the FRITZ!Box to a different computer and run the recovery tool on it.
5 Error when running the recovery tool
If the recovery tool returns an error message, proceed as follows:
- Abort the recovery procedure.
- Close any active firewall applications.
- Call up the Windows Device Manager:
- Press the Windows key and the pause key on the keyboard at the same time.
- Only under Windows XP: Select the "Hardware" settings page.
- Click "Device Manager".
- Under "Network adapters", double-click the LAN network adapter that is connected to the FRITZ!Box. Select the tab for the advanced settings (for example "Advanced" or "Advanced Settings").
- Select the property for setting the transmission rate (for example "Transmission Rate", "Connection Type", "Media Type").
- Select the value "10 Mbit/s, half-duplex" or similar and click "OK".
- Run the recovery tool again.