Configuring a user account
System / FRITZ!Box Users / Users / User Account
In a FRITZ!Box user account you define for a certain FRITZ!Box user which areas and functions of the FRITZ!Box the user is allowed to access, and whether this access must take place from the home network or is also permitted from the internet.
What can you do here?
- "Users" area: Create and configure user accounts
- "Users" area: Enable or disable user accounts
- "Access from the internet" area: Enable or disable access from the internet
- "Rights" area: Configure settings for access rights
- "Rights" area: Release network storage (NAS) for sharing
- "Rights" area: Configure VPN connections
- "Confirmation via Google Authenticator App" area: Configure the Google Authenticator app
To save the settings, always click on the "Apply" button at the bottom of the page.
Important:Users who are logged in can not change certain settings on their own.
Here is where you define the individual password for the FRITZ!Box user and the status of the user account.
|User account enabled||Enable the user account so that the user can access the FRITZ!Box.|
|User name||Assign a user name for the FRITZ!Box user. Only certain characters are allowed in user names; see Characters for Passwords: Names for Users.|
|email address||You have the option of entering an email address for the FRITZ!Box user. With an email address the user can decide whether to log in using the login name or the email address.|
|Password||Assign a personal password for the FRITZ!Box user. Only certain characters are allowed in passwords; see Characters for Passwords.|
"Access from the Internet" Section
Specify here whether the FRITZ!Box user is also allowed to access the FRITZ!Box from the internet.
|Access from the internet allowed|| |
If you allow access from the internet for a user, this user can also access the areas of the FRITZ!Box to which the user has been granted access rights, for instance, the FRITZ!Box user interface or connected storage media.
If you disable the "Access from the internet allowed" option, then you can no longer log in to your FRITZ!Box from the internet with this FRITZ!Box user's login data.
Configuring Internet Access
For access from the internet, an internet address accessible to the public must be configured for the FRITZ!Box. You receive a public address when you set up a MyFRITZ! account or register with a Dynamic DNS provider.
- MyFRITZ! is enabled at "Internet / MyFRITZ! Account".
- Set up Dynamic DNS at "Internet / Permit Access /DynDNS".
Here you assign the user rights to certain areas and functions of your FRITZ!Box.
|FRITZ!Box settings||The user can view and change all FRITZ!Box settings|
|Voice messages, |
and call list
The user can
|Smart Home||If you use Smart Home devices on your FRITZ!Box, like FRITZ!DECT radiator controls or smart plugs or FRITZ!Powerline products (devices called FRITZ! actuators), then with these rights the user can control the Smart Home devices via the FRITZ!Box.|
|Access to NAS contents||The user can access the network storage (NAS = Network Attached Storage) media available on the FRITZ!Box (such as USB storage media or online storage). You can specify precisely to which directories the user is to have access rights; see the Releasing NAS Directories for Sharing.|
The user can establish a secure VPN connection directly to the FRITZ!Box home network from a remote network device with VPN software. When this right is enabled, the user is displayed as an active VPN connection in the "Internet / Permit Access / VPN" menu.
If you enabled VPN, you can click the "Display VPN Settings" link to view information about how to set up a VPN for mobile devices. The settings you need to establish a VPN connection from a computer to the FRITZ!Box are listed in the information on your VPN client.
Releasing NAS Network Storage for Sharing
NAS (Network Attached Storage) is network storage that is available on the FRITZ!Box, for instance, USB storage media or online storage. You can specify precisely to which storage directories the user is to have access rights.
Instructions: Releasing NAS Network Storage for Sharing
- Enable the "Access to NAS contents" setting.
- Click on "Add Directory".
- Specify whether you would like to release all of the storage media on the FRITZ!Box for sharing with the user, or only a certain directory. If desired, you can select directories for sharing from the directory structure of the available storage.
- Click on "OK".
The selected directory is now displayed in the list of directories released for sharing. Initially, the user has complete read and write rights. If the user should not have write rights for the directory, remove the checkmark for "Write".
"Confirmation via Google Authenticator app" Section
Configuring the Google Authenticator App with a Smartphone
If you selected the "Enable Confirmation via Google Authenticator app" setting in the"System / FRITZ!Box Users / Login to the Home Network" menu, then you can set up the Google Authenticator app for the user with a smartphone here.
- The user has the rights "FRITZ!Box settings"
- The user has the right "Access from the Internet allowed".
Instructions: Configuring the Google Authenticator App with a Smartphone
- Click on "New Setup"
- In the configuration wizard of the smartphone, select the operating system in which you want to set up the app.
- Assign a name for the smartphone for easy identification.
- Follow the instructions in the configuration wizard.